Re: FW: [ADMIN] Shared_buffers and kernel parameters, tuning

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: [ADMIN] Shared_buffers and kernel parameters, tuning
Date: 2003-06-10 15:56:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 10 Jun 2003 at 8:46, Josh Berkus wrote:

> SHARED_BUFFERS
> Sets the size of Postgres' memory buffer where queries are held before being
> fed into the Kernel buffer of the host system.  It's very important to
> remember that this is only a holding area, and not the total memory available
> for the server.  As such, resist the urge to set this number to a large
> portion of your RAM, as this will actually degrade performance on many OSes.
> Members of the pgsql-performance mailing list have found useful values in the
> range of 1000-6000, depending on available RAM, database size, and number of
> concurrent queries. No one has yet reported positive results for any number
> over 6000.

I was planning to document postgresql.conf with little hints, enough to get one
started, drawing inspiration from lilo.conf of debian, which is beautiful to
say the least..

I haven't find enough time to do that. But I will do it.. But I don't know all
the parameters enough. Of course I will post a starter but any input would be
welcome.

Point is we should be able to say RTFC rather than RTFA as that would get a DBA
single place to look at.  I agree that no amount of simplicity is enough but
still..:-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Brooke's Law:	Whenever a system becomes completely defined, some damn fool
discovers something which either abolishes the system or	expands it beyond