Re: IN list processing performance (yet again)

From: Dave Tenny <tenny(at)attbi(dot)com>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IN list processing performance (yet again)
Date: 2003-05-28 17:58:14
Lists: pgsql-performance
A join isn't an option, these elements come a a selection of entity ID's
that are specific to some client context.
Some other people suggested joins too.

Consider it something like this, say there's a database that represents
the entire file system content
of a set of machines, hundreds of thousands of files.  A single user
wants to do something
related to the ID's of 3000 files.  The requests for those 3000 files
can be built up in a number of ways,
not all of which rely on data in the database.  So I need to retrieve
data on those 3000 files using IN lists or some alternative.

Dave