Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Date: 2003-05-05 18:23:57
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Frank,
>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 06:11:06PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>
>>More info:
>>
>>* Reset everything to the way things 'normally' would be (user
>> 'postgres' only a member of 'Users', ipc-daemon configured to run as
>> Local System account, etc.).
>>[snip]
>>* Switched out and logged in as 'postgres', brought up BASH, and tried
>> 'ipctest s', and failed as usual.
>>* Did a 'ps' and saw only the shell and the ps command...no ipc-daemon.
>

> Did you do a "ps" or a "ps -ef"? With the former, ipc-daemon should not
> be displayed since it was running under a different user.

Always 'ps -ef', as shown in the printout in the previous email.

>>* For fun, tried 'ipc-daemon &', and it fired up!
>

> YA truly amazing occurrence. The above should have failed as follows:
>
> $ ipc-daemon
> (ipc-daemon) IPC-daemon is already started !!

I wonder what would happen if I tried firing it up manually from
'Frank'? Let me see if I get this error. Then I'll try running it
twice as 'postgres'. At this point, anything that might shed light on
things, even if ever so slightly. [I have to keep thinking of Thomas
Edison as I work on this. Every day I find 50 more things that DON'T
work. Eventually I hope to find the one that DOES. :-) Otherwise, it's
water tower/sniper rifle time...and that would probably put a crimp in
my career. :-) ]

>>It's as if the copy of ipc-daemon running in the 'postgres' context is
>>oblivious to the copy running as Local System account.
>

> Yes. I believe understanding the above will lead to the root cause of
> this problem.

Seems reasonable. By the way, I have tried undoing the steps I do to
'harden' NT boxes, but so far, to no avail.