Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Date: 2003-05-02 21:37:11
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Ok, looks my non-attachment attempt worked. So I'll repeat something I
asked in private:

I have spent the better part of the afternoon digging back thru the last
4 months of postings. One thing caught my eye.

Jason, you mention repeatedly about a file

/tmp/cygipc_0

But I have yet to see that file on XP (where PostgreSQL is NOT working)
_OR_ Windows 2000 (where the exact same install IS working). All I see
are the /tmp/MultiFile* files.

Is this file you mention still valid now? And if so, how do you explain
the Windows 2000 box working properly? I'm confused.

Or does the /tmp/cygipc_0 only show up when postmaster itself is run,
kind of like a PID file or other filelocking mechanism? Please note I
have only been working thus far with the test command 'ipctest s' and
the 'initdb' command. I have yet to fire up postgres itself yet.