Building PostgreSQL with Java

From: Dave Jarvis <dave(at)joot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Building PostgreSQL with Java
Date: 2003-04-22 05:58:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

I've only skimmed through the documentation, and in that skimming I did
not see a very important piece of information:

If you are upgrading to a new version of PostgreSQL on a machine that
already has the JDBC drivers for PostgreSQL available, be sure to REMOVE
THE OLD JAR FILE before attempting to compile PostgreSQL. This means
both CLASSPATH and the jre/lib/ext directory. Otherwise the ant build
process will use the classes floating around in the postgresql.jar file,
resulting in a new jar file that lacks many crucial classes.

Intuitively, I would have thought the compilation process would have
forced all files to be recompiled, regardless of whatever is sitting on
the classpath (or within $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext). Boy, was I wrong!
Would have saved me at least twenty minutes of Google'ing.

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis