Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ron Peacetree <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking?
Date: 2003-04-10 13:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ron Peacetree wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in message
> > [...]
> > If you want us to accept such a blanket statement as fact, you'd
> > better back it up with evidence. Let's see some test cases.
> Soon as I have the HW and SW to do so, it'll happen. I have some "bet
> the company" decisions to make in the DB realm.

And you are comparing what? Just pure features and/or performace, or
total cost of ownership for your particular case?

It is a common misunderstanding open source would be free software. It
is not because since the software comes as is, without any warranty and
it's usually hard to get support provided or backed by large companies,
it is safe to build you own support team (depends on how much you "bet
the company"). Replacing license fees and support contracts with payroll
entries plus taking the feature and performance differences into account
makes this comparision a very individual, non-portable task.

Unfortunately most manager type people can produce an annoyingly high
volume of questions and suggestions as long as they need more input,
then all of the sudden disappear when they made their decision.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #