Re: Qeustion pgadmin2 develop

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: frank_lupo <frank_lupo(at)email(dot)it>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Qeustion pgadmin2 develop
Date: 2003-04-02 13:40:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

frank_lupo wrote:

>Hi Dave
>
>There are many new functionalities for pgadmin2 that I would want to develop.
>I wonder if it has sense to make them or of it it is worth the pain.
>How much time will want that the pgadmin3 before to us usable?
>I see that the development and much assets.
>What I must make?

Frank,

I've seen a lot of traffic in this list regarding pgadmin2 features over
the last time, but I didn't look any further into it. My focus was
towards a query tool (weakness in pgadmin2) and a good schema browser
(cannot be made better, thus simply recoded). So I don't know what your
extentions do. I believe they all are some kind of wizards, implemented
as plugin.

I wonder if these plugins could be integrated into pgadmin3 too, using
automation. This would immediately make all pga2 plugins available to
pga3-w32 users. Later on, they could be recoded 1:1 in C++.
On the other hand, it's no real fun to use VB from C++, and as I think
about it further the database connection probably will be a problem
since pga2 uses ADO, while pga3 avoids this. Only recoded plugins
possible, I'm afraid.

With regard to Dave's timeframe mentioned, I can say that for my needs
pgadmin3 is sufficient. I believe there are many programmers that could
benefit from using pgadmin3 as it is right now. At least, I released it
to some people that used to use ISQL on MSSQL, and switch over to
PostgreSQL right now.

Anyway, I might find some time to implement some/many/most/all of the
missing property/create dialogs, bringing us some steps further. So
maybe we reach pga2-1.2 much earlier.

Dave, maybe it makes sense to create a release plan stating which
version of pgadmin3 should include which features. As you might have
noticed, pgadmin3 VERSION states V 0.1.0 at the moment, indicating "many
things to come".

Regards,

Andreas