Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-11 02:47:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>
>>What about the addition of pg_attribute.attrelid &
>>pg_attribute.attname/attnum in RowDesription messages to identify the
>>underlying attribute (where appropriate)?
>
> Well, we can talk about it, but I still think that any frontend that
> relies on such information is broken by design. (And if that means the
> JDBC spec is broken, then the JDBC spec is broken.)
>
> Just to start with, if I do "SELECT * FROM view", am I going to see the
> info associated with the view column, or with the hypothetical
> underlying table column? (Actually, didn't I already make a list of a
> bunch of ways in which this concept is underspecified? AFAIR, you
> didn't suggest answers to any of those questions ... but we need answers
> to all of them if we are going to implement the feature.)

The problem Dave is suggesting this as a first attempt at a solution for
is that with ODBC, a frontend (i.e. OpenOffice) asks the ODBC driver
which columns are NULLable, etc. And the ODBC driver is getting the
info wrong, then passing back the incorrect info.

So, when a person goes to insert a row into a table with a
SERIAL/SEQUENCE based column, OpenOffice has been told the column isn't
NULLable and forces the user to enter a value. Voila, it doesn't work
with sequences. :(

It's likely possible to add to the ODBC driver some way of getting the
info right, but Dave is also looking for a way of making this easier
into the future for similar problems. i.e. Let the database explicitly
have info about what each column can do.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift