Re: Daily crash

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Daily crash
Date: 2003-02-27 13:03:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 27 Feb 2003 at 14:51, Catalin wrote:

> i'm afraid i don't have any logs.
> i have the default redhat instalation of postgres 7.0.2 which comes with no
> logging enabled.
>
> i will try to enable logging and post the logs to the list !
>
> anyway in PHP when trying to connect to the crashed SQL server i get the
> error message:
> Too many connections...

Tell me. Does that sound like a crash? To me the server is well alive.

And if you are using default configuration, you must be experiencing a  real
pathetic performance for a real world load.

Try tuning the database. There are too many tips to put in one place. but
editing /var/lib/data/postgresql/postgresql.conf ( I hope I am right, I am too
used to do pg_ctl by hand. Never used services provided by disro.s) is first
step. You need to read the admin guide as well.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Glib's Fourth Law of Unreliability:	Investment in reliability will increase
until it exceeds the	probable cost of errors, or until someone insists on