Re: Collaboration Tool Proposal

From: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Collaboration Tool Proposal
Date: 2004-02-26 21:03:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-www

On Feb 26, 2004, at 6:12 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Why do we want to replace GBorg?
>
> GBorg was pretty good collab tool technology for 2000.
> Heck, it's still not a bad tool. Unfortunately, since the
> demise of Great Bridge, it's had only one maintainer (for
> whose efforts we are very grateful), meaning
> that little or no progressive development has taken place.
> For example, GBorg still lacks both project and bug search
> features, and based on our community is unlikely to develop
> these things.

+1 for me. I think the bug tracking is a must. I have some experience
with bugs on php.net
(http://bugs.php.net/) and the excellent platform makes the volunteers
work much easier.

> Why GForge?
>
> GForge runs on PostgreSQL and their team are enthusiastic PG
> users. Most other collab tools run on other databases and would

Again +1, they run PostgreSQL their project is made for postgresql (and
this is rare in the PHP world) it makes sense to me.

> But I don't want to migrate my project!
>
> See above. You'd have at least a year to procrastinate about it,
> and may be able to get someone else to do most of the
> migration work for you.

I would be glad to help, gforge is a PHP based project so I could try
something out. I don't think that
we (or better said gborg developers) should be scared about the move.
It is always a pain to migrate but, if it is worth the effort (and in
this case
we could all benefit from a more structured system) we have to do it.

The suggestion is to move slowly, so, worth a shoot.

Cheers
David Costa