Re: Bug in Migration Wizard 2.4.12 with 1-1 relationships

From: Erwin Brandstetter <a9006241(at)unet(dot)univie(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in Migration Wizard 2.4.12 with 1-1 relationships
Date: 2003-02-24 04:40:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

> * From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
> It's rumoured that Rohan Carly once said:
>> I am trying to use the the Migration Wizard (version 2.4.12) to export
>> a simple Access database to Pgsql. I notice that the migration wizard
>> fails, if I have defined 1-1 relationships inside MS Access.
>
> Please try the latest snapshot from the binaries folders at
> http://cvs.pgadmin.org/. Instructions are in the readme - you will need to
> upgrade all files, not just the migration wizard.
> PostgreSQL (and most DBMS') do not refer to foreign keys as relationship
> types quite as Access does, so there is no real concept of a 1:1 key as
> such. To enforce that, you will need to manually add a unique index on the
> fkey column.
> Please let me know if you have any trouble.

Hi Dave! Hi Group!

I used to experience the same troubles with 1:1 relationships, and I am
very happy to say that your fix did it. I was able to export a complex
data structure with 36 tables including several 1:1 relationships from
Access 97 without a problem. Previously the migration used to stop and
roll back when hitting the first foreign key from a 1:1 relationship.

BTW, I agree with the other guy that pleaded for a "per table commit".
Did I see a new option in the migration wizard doing exactly that allready?

Thanx a lot for the tool and especially for the latest fixes. I
appreciate it. Good job!

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter