Re: how to configure my new server

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,philip johnson <philip(dot)johnson(at)atempo(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to configure my new server
Date: 2003-02-12 11:51:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>Move the index object (use the oid2name package in /contrib to find the index)
>>to a different location, and symlink it back to its original location.   Make
>>sure that you REINDEX at maintainence time, and don't drop and re-create the
>>index, as that will have the effect of moving it back to the original
>>location.
>
> I believe reindex will create a new file and hence remove the symlink,
> at least in 7.3.

Yep, it's a complete pain.  You can't stabily have indexes moved to
different drives, or even different partitions on the same drive (i.e.
fastest disk area), as they're recreated in the default data location at
index time.

This was one of the things I was hoping would _somehow_ be solved with
namespaces, as in high transaction volume environments it would be nice
to have frequently used indexes [be practical] on separate drives from
the data.  At present, that's not very workable.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

    - Indira Gandhi