Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date: 2003-02-11 17:12:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
>

>>May I make a suggestion that maybe it is time to start thinking about
>>tuning the default config file, IMHO its just a little bit too
>>conservative,
>>

>It's a lot too conservative.  I've been thinking for awhile that we
>should adjust the defaults.

One of the things I did on my Windows install was to have a number of
default configuration files, postgresql.conf.small,
postgresql.conf.medium, postgresql.conf.large.

Rather than choose one, in the "initdb" script, ask for or determine the
mount of shared memory, memory, etc.

Another pet peeve I have is forcing the configuration files to be in the
database directory. We had this argument in 7.1 days, and I submitted a
patch that allowed a configuration file to be specified as a command
line parameter. One of the things that Oracle does better is separating
the "configuration" from the data.

It is an easy patch to allow PostgreSQL to use a separate configuration
directory, and specify the data directory within the configuration file
(The way any logical application works), and, NO, symlinks are not a
solution, they are a kludge.