Re: postmaster executable ... missing?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jan Goller <jgoller(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster executable ... missing?
Date: 2003-02-05 03:03:36
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Jan Goller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I try to run PostgreSQL on WinXP. Everything so far works. But when I type
>
> /cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D
> /usr/share/postgresql/data -i" --dep ipc-daemon --termsig INT --user
> postgres --shutdown/
>
> there is always that error message:
>
> /cygrunsrv: Given path doesn't point to a valid executable/
<snip>

Hi Jan,

This happened here a while ago too.  Not sure what the cause nor reason
for it is, but the solution that worked for me was to (using the bash
shell):

1) Change to the /bin directory

cd /bin

2) Remove the existing "postmaster" symlink

rm postmaster

3) Create a new postmaster symlink

ln -s /bin/postgres.exe postmaster

After that, everything worked fine again.

Hope that helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi