Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtcapital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-29 17:26:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Curtis Faith wrote:
<snip>
> If people are deciding what open-source database server they want to
> use, Linux or FreeBSD is the obvious choice for the server OS. The kind
> of people who are inclined to use PostgreSQL or MySQL will mostly NOT be
> considering Windows servers.

For another perspective, we've been getting a few requests per day
through the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing site's request form along
the lines of:

"Is there a license fee for using PostgreSQL? We'd like to distribute
it with our XYZ product that needs a database."

Probably about 4 or so per day like this at present. A lot of the
people sending these emails appear to have windows based products that
need a database, and have heard of PostgreSQL being a database that they
don't need to pay license fee's for. They've kind of missed the point
of Open Source from the purist point of view, but it's still working for
them. ;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi