Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads
Date: 2003-01-27 09:45:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 27 Jan 2003 at 3:08, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Here's what I'd like to see:
> COPY table [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
> FROM { 'filename' | stdin }
> [ [ WITH ]
> [ BINARY ]
> [ OIDS ]
> [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
> [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ] ]
> [COMMIT EVERY ... ROWS WITH LOGGING] <<<<<<<<<<<<<
> [SKIP ... ROWS] <<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> This way, if I'm loading 25M rows, I can have it commit every, say,
> 1000 rows, and if it pukes 1/2 way thru, then when I restart the
> COPY, it can SKIP past what's already been loaded, and proceed apace.

IIRc, there is a hook to \copy, not the postgreSQL command copy for how many
transactions you would like to see. I remember to have benchmarked that and
concluded that doing copy in one transaction is the fastest way of doing it.

DOn't have a postgresql installation handy, me being in linux, but this is
definitely possible..

Bye
Shridhar

--
I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is
afundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get