Strange error accessing *views* from Linux through ODBC

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Strange error accessing *views* from Linux through ODBC
Date: 2003-01-17 12:44:10
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-interfaces
Dear list,

Due to a problem related to updates of views through rules, I bit the
bullet and installed Pg 7.3.1. I use Debian (mostly Woody, a. k. a. stable)
; after some attempts to install the Woody version, I installed the sid
versions.

 From Windows (I'm using OpenOffice to access a Linux PostgreSQL database
through the experimental ODBC3 drive, Dec 17 2002 version), nothing has
changed : I still can't update a view (I thought the problem I had might be
related to 7.2 not returning the number of rows updated). More on this
later, after I have time to create a log ...

 From Linux (Same setup, using the official ODBC driver as packaged by
Oliver Elphick for Debian Sid, a. k. a. unstable along with unixodbc), I
can access tables, but no views. When I try to use a view, OpenAccess
returns me an error message box asserting that "Can't update data contents.
[unixODBC] Error: Attribute "ctid" not found". I don't even get a read-only
  access to data.

I am suspecting a serious ODBC problem. Do you have any hints ?

Sincerely,

					Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : Please Cc: me your answers : I do not follow the list on a regular
basis, and read it through the nntp interface. E. C.

pgsql-interfaces by date

Previous:From: James Michael DuPontDate: 2003-01-17 06:47:25