Re: Another XP Pro experience

From: "David P(dot) Caldwell" <inonit(at)inonit(dot)com>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another XP Pro experience
Date: 2003-01-13 21:13:29
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:

>>Good thinkin'. Yes, I do accept TCP/IP connections, and yes, they do
>>work even for the second user, at least this morning. But the "local"
>>connections don't (I made sure to check again this morning now that
>>I'm fully alert). As a caveat, I've been seeing failures with my JDBC
>>application also (which is what caused me to start digging in the
>>first place), which also (obviously) uses TCP /IP connections, so I
>>will have to investigate further. Right now I can't reproduce those
>>failures, so perhaps one of the 19 other changes/diagnostics I tried
>>has fixed this somehow.
>>

>What is the permissions of the postmaster's AF_UNIX socket file?
>
> $ ls -l /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> srwxrwxrwt 1 jt None 51 Jan 13 15:32 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
>
>Are yours more restrictive then above? If so, then this could explain
>your local connection problems.

Not that I can see through the UNIX side -- although the lockfile is.

$ ls -al .s*
srwxrwxrwt 1 postgres None 51 Jan 13 12:50 .s.PGSQL.5432=
-rw------- 1 postgres None 32 Jan 13 12:50 .s.PGSQL.5432.lock

>>Speaking of permissions, for the real XP newbie (from whom Jason will
>>eventually receive E-mail if we don't take pre-emptive action, and
>>perhaps even if we do), it may be worth pointing out that file
>>security settings are disabled by default, even on XP Pro.
>>[snip]
>>

>Just a WAG, but maybe the above is confusing Cygwin's setup.exe (which
>is a straight Win32 app and currently does *not* "use" ntsec) into
>creating files and directories with problematic permissions?

My own WAG would be "no" -- that the XP default is simply "skinning" the
underlying permissions and that the change in modes only affects the UI
level. As, um, "evidence" I would cite the fact that the option is
under the "View" tab in Windows Explorer folder options, that
unprivileged users appear to be allowed to change it, and that
privileged users don't get a confirmation dialog when changing it. (A
counterargument would be that unchecking that option in my unprivileged
account currently appears to have no effect -- the "Security" tab still
shows up on a file's property sheet.) It's possible the answer is
somewhat in-between -- that it affects /*defaults*/ at the API level,
rather than just the UI level. (Toggling the mode using the privileged
account at least doesn't appear to blow away the more "complicated"
permissions.)

Gosh, maybe if I paid the money to subscribe to MSDN I could sort this
out ... :)

-- David.