Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)
Date: 2003-01-13 18:46:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

[ ... ]

>I'm thinking now you are only looking for binary packages. Is building from
>source unacceptable or impossible?

On Debian, it's sometimes ... mmm ... intricate. When all is fine, it's
a breeze. But when you start to have a mix of packages from various
releases, things tend to be a bit harder. Furthermore, when you need
non-standard tools (and this is the case with Postgres, IIRC), it's
often *much* better to use the (usually marvellous) work of Debian
maintainers. After all, I'm maintaining a databas to use it, not for the
sake of maintaining it's DBMS : I use Postgres and Debian because they
are the right tool for my purposes, not for love of the tools themselves.

Sincerely,

Emmanuel Charpentier