Re: RedHat attitude

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RedHat attitude
Date: 2002-12-20 06:43:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>>> Reading RHDB manuals, the screenshots in [4] make me think
>>>that actualy any user installing it is clearly adviced of the
>>>PostgreSQL presence.
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> Do you realize RedHat is a company? I own two companies myself and Business is
> Business. Therefore, IMHO, RedHat attitude is not difficult to understand:
>
> Take RHDB for example : the source code is GPL, but it receives only RedHat
> employee contributions. I would be very surprised if non-RedHat employees had
> access to their CVS.

Jean-Michel,

You'd made it *really* clear that you don't like Red Hat's way of doing things,
but it *really* looks like you're arguing to make a point without checking the
truth of the things you're saying.

We've probably all done that accidentally now and again, but you're *really*
making a bad impression in this particular thread by doing it over and over.

The stuff you say in other topics of conversation is really knowledgable and
on track, so please don't reduce your noise-to-information ratio overall by
continuing trying to argue something, with a completely bad/incorrect set of
examples. :-(

Anyway, your point about CVS has further information here:

http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/cvs.html

Red Hat appear to have an internal development CVS and also one that external
people can access.

> Of course, you can always send patches, but these
> patches become RedHat propriety and are then incorporated into RHDB.

Correct. And Red Hat makes the source code for RHDB available to everyone,
and will *very* likely continue to do so. They're trying to prove their
model of Open Source business, and closing the sources would almost
guarantee a rather large amount of end-user backlash.

> I won't say more to avoid bothering you all.

Regardless of whether time proves you correct or not, thank you.

Everyone understands what you're saying, and you don't need to push it further.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE