Re: Capping CPU usage?

From: Cory 'G' Watson <gphat(at)cafes(dot)net>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Capping CPU usage?
Date: 2002-12-11 18:27:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002, at 12:12 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I can't imagine that postmaster could do this, but I thought it there
> might be some kind of Linux Kernel CPU quota option I haven't heard
> of.
>  Can anybody point me in the right direction?

You can always use nice(1) to lower it's priority. This would allow
other processes to get the CPU more often, effectively limiting it in
the face of more demanding processes.

ulimit has a CPU time option, but it's probably not what you want. I
don't believe there is a kernel option for such a thing. I don't
recall seeing this type of accounting anywhere, but there are likely
some patches.

Cory 'G' Watson