Re: pg_dumpall doesn't work

From: Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson(at)unboundtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall doesn't work
Date: 2002-12-16 19:06:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Justin Georgeson wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson(at)unboundtech(dot)com> writes:
>>> This is what I get when I do a pg_dumpall. I have *no* idea what to
>>> do here.
>> It's a lot easier to do pg_dumpall if you are not using password
>> authentication.  Consider downgrading your pg_hba setting to "trust" for
>> local connections while you do the dump.  (In 7.2 you could perhaps use
>> ident, or at least secure the socket with filesystem access
>> restrictions.)
> I'll give that a try.

That worked for the dump, but I still had to enter a password every time
the script did a "\connect dbX userY". That was pretty annoying. My
pg_hba.conf has two lines

local 	all	trust
host       all    reject

The localhost host reject works. I just added the test if changes were
being picked up dynamically, since I was still being prompted for a
password. Also, I kept seeing this come up in the output while running
the dumpall generated script.

psql:dumpall.sql:40700: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
psql:dumpall.sql:40702: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
psql:dumpall.sql:40703: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'indislossy'
psql:dumpall.sql:40705: ERROR:  select rule's target entry 5 has
different type from attribute sequence_last_value
psql:dumpall.sql:40706: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
psql:dumpall.sql:40707: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'

>>> I'm trying to migrate from 7.0.3 to 7.2.1,
>> *Please* make that 7.2.3 not 7.2.1.
> Will look into to that too, especially since has RH RPMs.
> (I'm a total RH weenie).

rebuilt and installed the SRPMS with little fanfare, no local changes
made to the spec files.

Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.
Main   713.329.9330
Fax    713.460.4051
Mobile 512.789.1962

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)