Re: pg_dumpall doesn't work

From: Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson(at)unboundtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall doesn't work
Date: 2002-12-16 19:06:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Justin Georgeson wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson(at)unboundtech(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> This is what I get when I do a pg_dumpall. I have *no* idea what to
>>> do here.
>>

>> It's a lot easier to do pg_dumpall if you are not using password
>> authentication.  Consider downgrading your pg_hba setting to "trust" for
>> local connections while you do the dump.  (In 7.2 you could perhaps use
>> ident, or at least secure the socket with filesystem access
>> restrictions.)
>

> I'll give that a try.

That worked for the dump, but I still had to enter a password every time
the script did a "\connect dbX userY". That was pretty annoying. My
pg_hba.conf has two lines

local 	all	trust
host       all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255    reject

The localhost host reject works. I just added the test if changes were
being picked up dynamically, since I was still being prompted for a
password. Also, I kept seeing this come up in the output while running
the dumpall generated script.

psql:dumpall.sql:40700: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
CREATE
psql:dumpall.sql:40702: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
psql:dumpall.sql:40703: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'indislossy'
CREATE
psql:dumpall.sql:40705: ERROR:  select rule's target entry 5 has
different type from attribute sequence_last_value
psql:dumpall.sql:40706: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
psql:dumpall.sql:40707: ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'

>>> I'm trying to migrate from 7.0.3 to 7.2.1,
>>

>> *Please* make that 7.2.3 not 7.2.1.
>

> Will look into to that too, especially since postgresql.org has RH RPMs.
> (I'm a total RH weenie).

rebuilt and installed the SRPMS with little fanfare, no local changes
made to the spec files.

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)