Re: [PERFORM] CLUSTER command

From: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: johnnnnnn <john(at)phaedrusdeinus(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] CLUSTER command
Date: 2002-12-13 16:42:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-performance

Stephan,

Someone commented earlier about the separation/abstraction of the
storage manager.
I agree that it should not be done at the storage level.

Maybe a better idea, would be to create a new pg_partition table that
would have the functionality of an index on the key field and also be
used to point to a file/table ID.

That would be alot more work to code on thet planner though.

If a newly inherited table could also inherite the constraints and
indecies of its parent maybe things would be easier.

JLL