Re: [PERFORM] CLUSTER command

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] CLUSTER command
Date: 2002-12-13 01:06:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-performance

I think Oracle does something like this with its clustering. You set a
%fill and Oracle uses this when doing inserts into a segment and when to
add a new one. There is also some control over the grouping of data
within a page. I don't have an Oracle manual present, but I think the
clustering works on a specific index.

I agree that adding auto-clustering would be a very good thing and that
we can learn about functionality by studying what other applications
have already done and if/how those strategies were successful.

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.