Re: Elocution

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 01:49:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Justin Clift wrote:

> When people have been asking what the difference is between MySQL and
> PostgreSQL, thus far I have been explaining the differences between a
> web-specific database and an "application level" database, then drawing
> parallels between PostgreSQL and the other well known DB's (Oracle, DB2,
> Sybase, etc).

Is "application level" database commonly understood terminology? Would
saying "MySQL is a fine web database, but for many applications you need
an enterprise database like PostgreSQL" be too far beyond the pale?

> Would this be an angle we could strongly push?

"PostgreSQL - The open source database which really is."

It's pejorative for sure. The question is who are competitors really
are. It is tempting to take on Oracle, because that is where the big
market segment is, at the bottom end of the enterprise. However, perhaps
the most important early battle is against our OSS compatriots, in order
to become the OSS database-of-choice first.

"For cost-conscious data managers,
  Who are dissatisfied with proprietary pricing and licence restrictions,
  Our product is a enterprise-ready open source database,
  That provides all the functionality of proprietary products,
  Unlike MySQL, which is best used in limited web-based roles."

It's really hard to do, particularly when you're not getting $15000 per
licence and rolling 25% of that back into marketing :) The SEC filings
from Oracle were really revealing about just how much money goes into
marketing and how much into R&D. Pull up the Oracle annual report some
time and have a look. Your licencing dollars at work. :)

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey