Re: Elocution

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 01:16:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Paul Ramsey wrote:
> greg(at)turnstep(dot)com wrote:
<snip>
>    So, if we wanted to pick a niche for PostgreSQL, where would it be?
> What is the elevator pitch? In Moore's formulation, how are the blanks
> filled in?

When people have been asking what the difference is between MySQL and
PostgreSQL, thus far I have been explaining the differences between a
web-specific database and an "application level" database, then drawing
parallels between PostgreSQL and the other well known DB's (Oracle, DB2,
Sybase, etc).

It's worked well for the people that I've been explaining this too thus
far, as they seem to grasp the differences pretty easily, etc.

Would this be an angle we could strongly push?

:-)

> "For (target customers -- niche segment)

Application level database market segment?

>   Who are dissatisfied with (the current market alternative)

The high license cost, high staff cost, etc of the leading
proprietary/commercial-only alternatives.

Maybe a strong branding point would be to call the proprietary databases
"commercial-only", as it does have a mental association with
"inflexibility" built in.  Might be able to leverage that significantly
in some way?

>   Our product is a (new product category)

An "application level database".  Don't think it's a new product
category, although we are in a class of software that some people in the
traditional software markets are unfamiliar with.

>   That provides (key problem solving ability)

As per traditional application level database stuff.  :)

>   Unlike (the product alternative)

Database products built for other target markets, with feature sets not
suitable to application level products.

>   We have assembled (key whole product features for your
>      niche application)"

Hmm.... seems like a worthwhile idea/approach.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi