Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle. Patch.

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Evgen Potemkin <evgent(at)ns(dot)terminal(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle. Patch.
Date: 2002-11-28 19:08:29
Lists: pgsql-patches
Evgen Potemkin wrote:> it supports both versions: start before connect and vice
versa.

> regards,
> ---
> .evgen

Why do you want to support the START WITH after the CONNECT BY if that syntax
does not exist anywhere (Oracle uses it before)?  Adding another option just
increases the chances of parser conflicts in the future.

Regards,
Fernando

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>

>>The syntax below is wrong.  Oracle has:
>>
>>[START WITH condition] CONNECT BY condition
>>
>>not the reverse as stated below.  Maybe this was just a documentation mistake (I
>>haven't looked at the code).
>>
>>Fernando
>>
>>Evgen Potemkin wrote:
>>
>>>+
>>>+ Syntax.
>>>+
>>>+ SELECT ... FROM ... [ WHERE condition ] CONNECT BY c_expr PRIOR c_expr START WITH expr
>>>+   [ HAVING condition [, ...]] [ LIMIT ... ] [ OFFSET ... ]
>>
>>--
>>Fernando Nasser
>>Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com
>>2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
>>Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9

@redhat.com
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300