Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle. Patch.

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Evgen Potemkin <evgent(at)ns(dot)terminal(dot)ru>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle. Patch.
Date: 2002-11-26 23:27:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

Fernando Nasser wrote:> The syntax below is wrong. Oracle has:

> [START WITH condition] CONNECT BY condition
>
> not the reverse as stated below. Maybe this was just a documentation
> mistake (I haven't looked at the code).
>
> Fernando
>
> Evgen Potemkin wrote:
>
>> + + Syntax.
>> + + SELECT ... FROM ... [ WHERE condition ] CONNECT BY c_expr PRIOR
>> c_expr START WITH expr + [ HAVING condition [, ...]] [ LIMIT ... ] [
>> OFFSET ... ]
>> +

Furthermore, PRIOR is not a clause, but a unary operator that must be applied to
one of the terms of the CONNECT BY expression.

So, we would actually have:

[START WITH expr] CONNECT BY c_expr = PRIOR c_expr
or
[START WITH expr] CONNECT BY PRIOR c_expr = c_expr

(we probably don't want to support operators other than '=')

And there is that '+' in there... what is it for?

So I guess we would be implementing something that is not either the standard
SQL nor the Oracle syntax.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com