ram drive

From: Timothy D McKernan <tdm4(at)dyrectmedia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ram drive
Date: 2002-11-22 18:25:35
Lists: pgsql-admin
My client would like to test using a ram drive to hold some of our
postgre files.  Does anybody have any suggestions for how to go about
doing this?  Details are below:

http://www.3dretreat.com/reviews/rocketdrive/

This is a review that explains the benefits of a ram drive: it's a pci
card that holds several sticks of SDRAM, but reports it as another
filesystem to linux.  So the idea is that we could put several postgre
tables on this card, and we will hopefully see a huge performance
increase by being able to access these files from the ram drive instead
of a hard drive.

Our /usr/local/pgsql/data dir is nearly 4GB in size, but our current
ramdrive only holds 2GB of ram, so we can't put the whole data dir on
the ramdrive.

Which files would be ideal for loading onto the ram drive?  Are there
specific files that contain the table indices?  This ram drive is
nascent ground for us, so all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Dyrect Media Group