Re: Frontend/Backend protocol changes?

From: Bruce Badger <bbadger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frontend/Backend protocol changes?
Date: 2002-11-22 06:38:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Bruce Badger <bbadger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com> writes:
>>

>>>Have there been any changes at all in the Frontend/Backend protocol
>>>between 7.2 and 7.3?
>>>I ask, of course, because there were some unannounced changed to the
>>>protocol between 7.1 and 7.2, and I'd rather not get bitten again ;-)
>>>

>>"Unannounced"?  AFAIK doc/src/sgml/protocol.sgml has been current for
>>every release since 6.3 or thereabouts.
>>

>As I remember, he got bitten by a change that wasn't prominent in our
>release notes.

I do watch this list for any discussion of changes to the protocol, but
from Tom's response I guess I should also be looking at protocol.sgml.
 Could someone point me to the definitive version of this file so I can
monitor changes to it?  Thanks.

BTW, I think the main reason I got bitten at 7.2 was because the
protocol changed, but the protocol version number did not.

While I'm on the keyboard, I'd like to say how much I appreciate the
work that Tom, Bruce et al put into making PostgreSQL the system it is.
 Thanks for a really great job.

All the best,
    Bruce Badger