Re: PG functions in Java: maybe use gcj?

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG functions in Java: maybe use gcj?
Date: 2002-10-31 03:57:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am not sure I follow. Are you suggesting:

1) create function takes java source and then calls gcj to compile it
to native and build a .so from it that would get called at runtime?

or

2) create function takes java source and just compiles to java .class
files and the runtime invokes the gcj java interpreter.

or I guess you could do both at the same time.

In either case I am concerned about licensing issues. gcj is not under
a BSD style license. Depending on what you need you are either dealing
with regular GPL, LGPL, or LGPL with a special java exception.

I beleive (without giving it too much thought) that doing either 1 or 2
above would end up linking GPL code into postgres. This can be worked
around by requiring the the necessary gcj libraries be installed
separately and detected at configure time (like is done elsewhere). But
is does (I think) present a problem for commercial products that would
like to redistribute postgres with pljava.

Another challenge here it that the java code is going to want to use the
jdbc api when communicating with the database. One difficulty here is
getting jdbc to be part of the same transaction as the calling java
function. Such that if the java stored procedure selects or updates
data it is doing it in the same transaction as the caller of the
function. Today the jdbc driver only knows how to communicate via the
FE/BE protocol which will end up creating a new process and transaction.
The jdbc driver would need to not use the FE/BE protocol but instead
probably use jni calls.

thanks,
--Barry