Re: Introduction

From: Eric Walstad <eric(at)ericwalstad(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: 2002-10-24 14:39:48
Lists: sfpug
Hi List,

I'm Eric Walstad.  I'm an independent contractor specializing in
software for energy use analysis.  That means I've built and maintain a
lot of database applications for PG&E and other energy utilities.
Sadly, most have been written in Access/VBA.  I'm a relative newbie with
PostgreSQL, most of my "real" database work has been with MySQL, the
preferred(1) database of my main client.  I spent a year volunteering
with EcoAccess.org(2) to a) help with what I consider to be a worthwile
endeavor, b) get my first experience working on an open source project
and c) learn more Python and PostgreSQL.  I am hoping that subscribing
to this list will help to liberate me from my recurring Microsoft Access
nightmare.  I am hoping for SQL enlightenment and/or <shameless
plug>leads to employment with enlightened individuals</shameless plug>.

Most of my "fun" time is spent with my wife and daughter or maintaining
a few hobby-ish web sites(3) or learning more about programming.  I'm a
voracious reader and also enjoy surfing, sailing and diving.  I've not
owned a TV since about 1992.

I'm looking forward to "geeking Postgres stuff" with you all soon  :)

Eric.

(1)  They are showing real interest in PostgreSQL, though.
(2)  http://www.ecoaccess.org/about/people/ewalstad.html
          I worked on an alpha version of their in-house task
          management software.  It used PostgreSQL on the
          backend, Python/psycopg in the middle and Zope on
          the front end.
(3)  http://walstads.net/
          Family forum
      http://63.203.42.146/fg/events
          Golfing event tracker (for a friend)
      http://lululand.net/
           Searchable photo album (psswd rqd)
           So my mom and dad can see what their grand daughter is up to

Josh Berkus wrote:
 > Hi!
 >
 > Can everyone introduce themselves?  My intro is below.
 >

 >>Anyway, my name's Josh and I'm the list admin.   I'm also an independant
 >>database consultant who has been in business in SF for 4 years, and
involved
 >>in PostgreSQL for 2.5 years.   I'm on the SQL, NOVICE, and ADVOCACY
lists,
 >>and also write occasional columns for TechDocs.
 >>
 >>I was also the Marketing Lead for OpenOffice.org for the last year.
  Some

 > of
 >
 >>you may have seen me at LWE or O'Reilly in connection with
OpenOffice.org.