Re: db design question

From: Vijay Deval <deval(at)giaspn01(dot)vsnl(dot)net(dot)in>
To: jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db design question
Date: 2002-10-20 13:46:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Jules

What will happen to oid if you dump the table, upgrade PostgreSQL and
recreate tables?

In case a company has more than one consultent, company is going to
feature in more than one tuples with different oid's.

It might be a better idea to have two tables. One table assigns serial
id number to company. Other table could have this serial id as one
attribute , along with other things like consultant name etc. This
should avert problem of repeating data.

It is quite possible that one consultant gives consultations to more
than one companies. In that case the data needs to be stored in three
tables.

Vijay