Re: What's wrong in this pltcl function ?

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What's wrong in this pltcl function ?
Date: 2002-10-14 14:31:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

>Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro> writes:
>

>>create function ruldeb(bpchar) returns bpchar as '
>> set cont $1
>> set rulaj 0.0
>> spi_exec -array rec "select valoare from valori where debitor LIKE
>>\'$cont%\'" {
>> set rulaj [expr {$rulaj + $rec(valoare)}]
>> }
>> if {![info exists GD(conturi_lookup)]} {
>> set GD(conturi_lookup) [spi_prepare "select cheie,denumire from
>>conturi where id=\'\\$1\'" [list bpchar]]
>> }
>> spi_execp -count 1 $GD(conturi_lookup) [list $cont]
>> return "{$cheie} {$denumire} $rulaj"
>>' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';
>>

>>is giving the following error:
>>

>>ERROR: pltcl: can't read "cheie": no such variable
>>can't read "cheie": no such variable
>>

>I think what is happening is that the select is returning zero rows, and
>so none of the output variables get set. You should be checking that
>spi_execp returns a value greater than 0 before trying to use the column
>variables.
>
>As for *why* the select returns zero rows, I think you want the query
>to read like
> ... where id=\\$1"
>As is, it's always looking for the literal id value $1.

I have replaced:
... where id=\'\\$1\'
with
... where id=\\$1

and the error is now:
ERROR: Unable to identify an operator '=$' for types 'character
varying' and 'integer'
You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

when I call the function like that:

select ruldeb('4:0:1:1:2:');

I have to say that that account '4:0:1:1:2:' exists in the "conturi" table!
As I said it previously, the query works fine directly (spi_exec)
without the preparing stuff!

teo