Re: (Fwd) Re: Any Oracle 9 users? A test please...

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Any Oracle 9 users? A test please...
Date: 2002-09-30 19:29:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> It is not clear to me;  is this its own transaction or a function call?

That looks like an anonymous PL/SQL procedure to me. Another
question might be, given:

"more than one reference to one or more <datetime value
function>s, then all such references are effectively evaluated
simultaneously"

under what conditions does Oracle report *the same* value for
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP? So far, in this discussion, we have the
following scenarios:

1. RDBMS start: No one
2. Session start: No one
3. Transaction start: PostgreSQL
4. Statement start: ???
5. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP evaluation: Oracle 9, ???

Given what Tom has posted regarding the standard, I think Oracle
is wrong. I'm wondering how the others handle multiple
references in CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in a single stored
procedure/function invocation. It seems to me that the lower
bound is #4, not #5, and the upper bound is implementation
dependent. Therefore PostgreSQL is in compliance, but its
compliance is not very popular.

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com