Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments?
Date: 2002-09-29 18:08:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Obviously he wants a tool that allows setting parameters from a shell
> > script or something for use within pg_autotune.  I don't see why it is
> > bad to have a tool to do this; if someone can use it (and modify
> > postgresql.conf) obviously he has permission to read (and write)
> > postgresql.conf.
> >

> But, if that's the case, why not just:
>
> 1. send e.g. "set sort_mem=8192" as an SQL statement for runtime changeable
>     parameters
> 2. use e.g. "pg_ctl restart -D $PGDATA -o '--shared_buffers=10000'" for those
>     parameters requiring a restart

Doesn't allow for scriptable permanent changes, only runtime ones.  Was
just trying to think of a "optimal" end user solution.  Totally hadn't
thought of the 'set sort_mem=xxx' option either, but it might work for
the next version of pg_autotune (am going to have to re-write it
anyway).

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift