Re: 7.2.3?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2.3?
Date: 2002-09-28 21:30:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
<snip>
> I agree with Lamar that upgrading is a very difficult process right now.
> Requiring huge amounts of disk space and database downtime to do
> dump/restore is in some cases too high a price to pay.  So maybe the
> upgrading process should be observed instead of wasting time on people
> trying to stay behind because of the price of that process.

As a "simple for the user approach", would it be
too-difficult-to-bother-with to add to the postmaster an ability to
start up with the data files from the previous version, for it to
recognise an old data format automatically, then for it to do the
conversion process of the old data format to the new one before going
any further?

Sounds like a pain to create initially, but nifty in the end.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

<snip>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]atentus.com>)
> "La fuerza no está en los medios físicos
> sino que reside en una voluntad indomable" (Gandhi)

   - Indira Gandhi