Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

From: "Phillip J(dot) Allen" <paallen(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: nc(at)ncartron(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre
Date: 2002-09-25 15:28:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
Nicolas,

I have been using cygwin and Postgresql on my laptop for experimental
purposes when I am not connected to the server (like in an airport
lobby).  And it seems to be working well.  Of course I havent had
multiple connections simultanous.

But one problem/inconvience you will encounter is if the W2000 server
goes to sleep/dorment, the postmaster will not wake up or recover.  So
you have to manually go into the cygwin directory and erase the
postmaster.pid file.  Not a major crisis on my laptop but on a server it
could be very inconvient.

good luck and keep us informed because I am planning on installing
cygwin and postgres on one of my "field servers" where nobody knows how
to maintain a linux server.  And when I say "field servers" I am talking
about a tool shed in the Peruvian Andes.

Cheers

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist
Lima Peru