Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum
Date: 2002-09-25 06:24:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 Sep 2002 at 1:10, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> > It doesn't have to make its way into the postgresql daemon itself -- in
> fact since some people like tuning the vacuuming, it makes more sense to
> make this a daemon. No, my suggestion is simple that some sort of
> auto-vacuumer be compiled as a stand-alone app and included in the standard
> postgresql tar.gz file, and the install instructions recommend the site
> adding it as a cron job.
>
> unless I missed something.... the point of a daemon is so that we don't need
> to use cron.
>
> I also think that some type of daemon should be included in the pg sources,
> and installed with the rest of the system, and if configured to do so, the
> postmaster launches the auto vac daemon. I think this still makes sense
> even with the proposed setup (autovac client is just special client app).

I would suggest adding it to pg_ctl. Best place to put it IMO..

I can make available rpm of pgavd but with checkinstall, I guess people will
can have more distro. spcecific rpms. One rpm is obviously not going to install
on all distros..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Moore's Constant: Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody does
something, but no one does what he sets out to do.