New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune
Date: 2002-09-22 15:07:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

Have been putting together a tool called "pg_autotune" for automatically
tuning a PostgreSQL database (either local or remote). It does this by
repetitively benchmarking PostgreSQL (using Tatsuo's pgbench code) with
different buffer settings, then fine tuning those settings depending on
the results returned. All of the data generated is stored into a
separate PostgreSQL database for further aggregate analysis later on.

This should be a default tool for all new PostgreSQL installations.

The URL for pg_autotune is:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgautotune

It was created on a FreeBSD system, but should also work on at least
Linux, Solaris, and MacOS X.

This is a time & load intensive tool, so you'll need to ensure you only
run it when you have a couple of hours to wait for the results.
Overnight is good. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi