Re: Still big problems with pg_dump!

From: Wim <wdh(at)belbone(dot)be>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still big problems with pg_dump!
Date: 2002-09-17 14:25:45
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>-hackers removed.
>
>On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 10:11:41AM +0200, Wim wrote:
>

>>ERROR: AllocSetFree: cannot find block containing chunk 4c5ad0
>>

>This is definitely some sort of disk problem. Either you've written
>bad data to the disk in some way, or else the disk is corrupted or
>damaged.
>
>If it is a hardware problem, the obvious suspects are memory (I'd
>discount this idea unless everything else doesn't check out), a disk
>failure, or a controller failure.
>
>It could be OS related as well. Several of the 2.4 Linux kernel
>series, for instance, had roblems with massive filesystem corruption.

Postgres is running on solaris 8...
It is the same database as previous time that has the problem, but not
the same table.
I think it's an error is the system tables.

>>Some people suggest a drive failure, but I checked that and found no
>>problems...
>>

>How did you check?

with fsck.

>>I must say that one of the table contains more than 3.000.000 rows,
>>another more than 1.400.000...
>>

>When is your most recent backup? If you can't pg_dump, you will be
>needing that backup.

Have backup... I can still SQL COPY to a text file, so that's no problem
so far.

>>I must say that I had this problem a few months before, I got some help
>>then, but that couldn't solve my problem,
>>I recreated the database from scratch and copied the data, to fix thing
>>quickly. Thing went well for about two months :-(
>>

>So you re-installed the data set on a machine that had somehow
>failed, you don't know why, and hoped that the problem would
>solve itself? Uh, that wasn't a good idea. In the future, if you
>have a problem which people suggest might be, for instance, a bad
>disk, it'd be a _very good_ idea to figure out precisely what the
>problem is before relying on the identical hardware again.

I know, I don't have much spare hardware, and the database had to work
quickly, it was the
only solution then.
Checked the disk, reinstalled the OS and still waiting for a CPU and
memory upgrade.