Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-16 03:26:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> Oh, that is bad news. Well, can we accept they will not be moving XLOG
> around?
>
> The problem with the non-symlink solution is that it is error-prone/ugly
> on all the platforms, not just NT4.X.

What you guys are saying isn't necessarily wrong, in that it may not
definitely be very pretty.

However, moving the WAL files to another disk has a significant
performance gain attached to it for loaded servers, so we how about we
take the viewpoint that if WinNT/2k/XP are to be supported then we might
as well let it do things properly instead of handicapping it?

Does anyone care to estimate what the coding time+issues involved would
be, for adding a parameter to the postgresql.conf file that allows
PostgreSQL to directly use a different directory path for the WAL files?

'wal_path'

or

'wal_directory'

or similar. In the postgresql.conf it would probably be placed in the
'Write-ahead log (WAL)' or 'Misc' sections.

No guarantees just yet but if it's not an extremely expensive thing to
add, then there might be people willing to pay for it (have a group in
mind already).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
> + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

- Indira Gandhi