Postgres does not want to start

From: Jason Lee <jason(at)theleehouse(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres does not want to start
Date: 2002-09-14 17:51:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

When I checked my system this morning, I could not connect to any of my databases. After some digging, I found that it was returning this error:

DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2002-09-14 11:53:40 CDT
DEBUG: ReadRecord: unexpected pageaddr 0/1564000 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 5783552
DEBUG: invalid primary checkpoint record
DEBUG: ReadRecord: unexpected pageaddr 0/1564000 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 5783552
DEBUG: invalid secondary checkpoint record
FATAL 2: unable to locate a valid checkpoint record
DEBUG: proc_exit(2)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(2)
DEBUG: exit(2)
DEBUG: reaping dead processes
DEBUG: startup process (pid 3961) exited with exit code 2
DEBUG: aborting startup due to startup process failure
DEBUG: proc_exit(1)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(1)
DEBUG: exit(1)

Any thoughts on what might cause that and how I can fix it? It seems that it's having problems with the checkpoint and/or transaction logs, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

--
jason
Sin is real, it doesn't feel, It always, only always, steals.