Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess - where to store the own data

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) OConnor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Iavor Raytchev <iavor(dot)raytchev(at)verysmall(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess - where to store the own data
Date: 2002-08-30 18:12:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Matthew T. OConnor wrote:
> One thought is to use a completely separate database, but also allow it
> to be stored in the current database if the user wants it too. This
> also solves the case of a user that can't create a new database for his
> admin tool (permissions etc...). Also, it might be cleaner now that we
> have schemea support to create one pgadmin, or pgaccess schemea in the
> database, that handled all the others.

As someone else mentioned (I think), even using a separate schema is not
always an acceptable option. If you are using a "packaged" application
(whether commercial or open source), you usually don't want *any*
changes to the vendor provided database. Particularly with commercial
software, that can mean loss of, or problems with, technical support, or
problems when upgrading.

Joe