Re: PostgreSQL and MySQL in ZDNet article...

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)trefs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and MySQL in ZDNet article...
Date: 2002-08-20 13:22:04
Lists: pgsql-general

"Nigel J. Andrews" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Robert J. Sanford, Jr. wrote:
>
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,474127,00.asp
>
> [...]
> I bet noone ever thought having functionality someone else didn't would result
> in better press for the other.

Interesting, isn't it?

Also that they mention Yahoo Finance makes me wonder if anyone in the
whole wide (News-) World ever noticed that MySQL doesn't have a precise
NUMERIC datatype! Their NUMERIC stores and retrieves exact, but as soon
as you do any computation with it, it converts to double internally and
becomes fuzzy. Sure, because the application can do it instead, it's not
a real drawback against MySQL, but why the hell will it then be such a
major step forward when they finally have it?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #