Text as long varchar?

From: Stelios Sfakianakis <ssfak(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Text as long varchar?
Date: 2002-08-19 08:51:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,
I have the following configuration:
- PostgreSQL 7.2.1
- PostgreSQL odbc driver 7.2.1
- Driver Manager: iodbc 3.0.5
- OTL <http://members.fortunecity.com/skuchin/home.htm>
- FreeBSD 4.6
I try to read a TEXT column though the OTL's otl_long_string and I get
an error because the type of column as returned by the odbc driver seems
to be VARCHAR instead of VARCHAR_LONG. Perusing the odbc.postgresql.org
site I found in the advanced options section something relative: "Text
as LongVarChar: Postgres TEXT type is mapped to SQLLongVarchar,
otherwise SQLVarchar"
So although that this refers to the Win version of the odbc driver I put
"TextAsLongVarchar = Yes" in both odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini but without
success. The contents of these two files are:

//odbcinst.ini:
[ODBC Drivers]
PostgreSQL = Installed

[PostgreSQL]
Description = PostgreSQL driver for Linux & Win32
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libpsqlodbc.so
Setup = /usr/local/lib/libpsqlodbc.so
FileUsage = 0
TextAsLongVarchar = Yes

//odbc.ini:
[TEST]
Description = Test Database
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libpsqlodbc.so
Trace = Yes
TraceFile = sql.log
Database = test
Servername = localhost
UserName =
Password =
Port = 5432
Protocol = 6.4
ReadOnly = No
RowVersioning = No
ShowSystemTables = No
ShowOidColumn = No
FakeOidIndex = No
TextAsLongVarchar = Yes
ConnSettings =

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
Stelios

--
Thus spake the master programmer:
``After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless.''