FATAL 1:Sorry, too many clients

From: sol <sol(at)autonomon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FATAL 1:Sorry, too many clients
Date: 2002-08-15 11:45:31
Lists: pgsql-novice
Whilst trying to use OpenOffice.org this arvo to print some labels I got
told that it couldn't connect to database because there were too many
clients connected already. So I resorted to the trusty psql to see what
was going on. But I got the error:

psql: FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already

So I had a poke at unix-odbc which told me under "stats" that there were
187 connections in 1 environment, 0 statements and -123 descriptors.
I've no idea what this is all about and I don't even know where to look
for documentation, etc. Has  anyone come across this before?

kind regards,
sol

pgsql-novice by date