Processes running without cleaning

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Processes running without cleaning
Date: 2008-02-18 13:00:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Team,

I am using Solaris9 and pgsql 8.2.5. Started the DB with the option 50
nodes and 100 blocks as below.

pg_ctl start -D /db1/postgresql/data -o "-N 50 -B 100 -i"

When started, there are 3 processes running with postgres names. After
that when a single transaction comes to the DB, it is going on
increasing it's number of processes by multiples of 3 or 4 up to the
peak connection say 53. Then when we open new session, it gives an error
that "psql : FATAL : Sorry, too many clients already".

Can you please any one explain, how the processes will go when we give
the options for blocks and nodes. As a common, we find 3 processes
running as parent processes of pgsql. Pls find the list of processes in
the attachment.(max_connction = 100 is configured in the postgresql
configuration file. Why cleaning up of process is not happening?

Pls advice.

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune - 411014

Landline :  +91-20-66453471           | +91-9890898688

Email     :   suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com    | website:  www.zensar.com

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Pattu, Susanta KumarDate: 2008-02-18 13:03:56