Can we have 2 databases on same server

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can we have 2 databases on same server
Date: 2008-01-30 06:38:34
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
Hi Team,

I have Solaris 9 machine with Pgsql 7.4 and want to upgrade to 8.2.5. I
don't want to disturb the first version now. I want to install second
one separately and need to test with my application. If it works fine, I
will activate only the latest one and other version 7.4 will be
discarded. This is my idea.

1)       Can I please know, if we can run 2 databases on the same server
with out any conflicts?

2)       If it is so, at what stage we are need to configure the 2
databases? Pls provide links or docs if available.

3)       If we had a front end application and have the options like
switching the database, the 2 databases are compulsory, right?(Thinking
only one server is available.)

Can you pls advice on this.

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune - 411014

Landline :  +91-20-66453471           | +91-9890898688

Email     :   suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com    | website:  www.zensar.com
<http://www.zensar.com/>

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: ChrisDate: 2008-01-30 06:56:42