Re: Postgresql takes more time to update

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql takes more time to update
Date: 2007-10-07 07:10:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply and to your colleague Scott. Can you pls explain
below sentence marked in red.

- --------- ------------------ ---------------------

As an alternative to Scott's suggestion (upgrading to the newest 7.4),
you could update your postgresql installation to 8.2, or if you can wait
a few months, 8.3. There are *huge* performance gains (I recently made a
similar switch and everything is blazing fast). Please note that this
will require a dump/restore of the data and more involved testing, so
only do it if you can devote the time, money, and energy.

Is 8.2 version is not free downloadable? What type of testing is
required? Pls advice us.

with thanks and regards,

G.V. Suresh Gupta

Sr. Software Engineer